Managing Attorney *
(*Admitted only in New York, and practice is limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies)
Nir represents business entities as well as individuals on all aspects of U.S. immigration and nationality laws. He handles business immigration as well as family-based immigration, special immigration programs, citizenship, and visa programs. He has served multinational corporations, foreign corporations seeking business expansion to the U.S., domestic corporations, individual investors, entrepreneurs, and U.S. citizens and permanent residents in sponsoring their family members. He has advised companies on immigration compliance, government audits, site visits and investigations for immigration compliance, and has handled a large number of complex general immigration law and compliance-related matters for corporate clients. He advises foreign and multinational companies on the immigration law matters in global mobility, in M&A, and in bankruptcy.
Nir has advised Fortune 1000, NASDAQ, TSE, NSE and BSE listed public companies, consulting companies, technology companies, medical organizations, major research universities, domestic corporations, start-ups, non-profits, entrepreneurs, scientists, investors, artists, and individuals on variety of employment-based immigration and work visa matters. He has also provided legal guide on business formation and corporate governance for start-ups; foreign businesses and investors; matters of Trademarks and Copyright; Int’l Biz Transactions; Int’l Trade (including export-control) for small business; matters of JOBS Act; SEC filing, Trademarks and Copyright, and Intellectual Property Transactions. He advised large foreign and multinational companies on immigration law matters in global mobility, in M&A, and in bankruptcy.
Nir has served clients with the highest level of professionalism, diligence and zealous representation on their legal matters.
Mr. Adhikari has more than nine years of US legal experience which primarily involved U.S. immigration law, anti-trust (competition) law, M&A, international law, government contracts, and business transactions. For the last seven years, he has advised companies and individuals on U.S. immigration law and immigration compliance and handled a large number of complex general immigration law and compliance-related matters for corporate as well as individual clients.
Nir is admitted to New York State Bar. He graduated with the Master of Laws (LL.M.) from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, CA, USA where he extensively studied business and corporate law, international trade, and M&A in technology companies. He also holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.). He is a member of the American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, American Immigration Lawyers Association, and Federal Bar Association.
At the beginning of his legal career he interned at International Criminal Court, the Hague, Netherlands, was a Research Fellow with the American Antitrust Institute with a competitive fellowship award from Antitrust Law Section of the American Bar Association, and was a consultant to a government contractor.
During law school he interned at the Nepalese Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, Kathmandu, Nepal; and was a Research Intern at the Centre for Civil Society, New Delhi, India.
- Practicing law in U.S. for over nine (9) years, and have been practicing U.S. immigration law for over seven (7) years and have handed complex cases for large (incl. publicly traded) companies, IT consulting and staffing companies, medium and small enterprises; and prior to that was involved in anti-trust law and government contracts.
- Has been appointed by a State as their outside lawyer to handle their their immigration law cases and compliance matters.
- Has been retained by major research university to be their outside lawyer to handle their their immigration law cases for professors, scientists, researchers and professionals and for immigration compliance matters.
- Advised large variety of clients on complex immigration and its compliance.
- Single-handedly managed and handled large immigration law portfolio of H-1Bs, L-1s, RFEs, MTR, PERM, I-140s, I-130 and requests for extension/change of status with strict and intersecting deadlines with high volumes.
- Successfully defended corporations on Department of Labor, Department of State and Department of Homeland Security’s audits and site-inspections including leading a compliance advisory team for a major corporation.
- Have advised Fortune 1000, NASDAQ, TSE, NSE and BSE listed public companies, consulting companies, technology companies, medical organizations, major research universities, domestic corporations, start-ups, non-profits, entrepreneurs, scientists, investors, athletes, artists, models, and individuals on a variety of employment-based immigration and work visa matters.
- Saved substantially large sum of monies to clients using a unique immigration strategy and little known legal provisions.
- Advocated for legal and policy reforms that serve the best of clients.
- Delivered major pro bono services to local organizations and individuals.
- Master in Laws (LL.M.) University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, CA
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Kathmandu School of Law, Nepal
- Directed Studies and the Summer Course on Private International Law, Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, the Netherlands.
- Summer Program on International Law, Xiamen (Asia) Academy of International Law, China.
- Communicating Freedom Workshop, Centre for Civil Society, India.
- Human Rights Summer School, Empowerment through Law of the Common People, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law
- Member of Steering Committee (past), Immigration and Naturalization Law Committee
- India Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Corporate Law Section
- International Law Section
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Immigration Law Section
- member, District of Columbia Chapter
- Intellectual Property and Communications Law Section
- International Law Section
- Securities Law Section
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)-DC
- Chair (past), Immigration Law Committee, SABA-DC
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association-District of Columbia (DC)
- Patan Appellate Bar Association, Lalitpur
- Speaker, Cross Border Immigration Analysis: Trump vs. Trudeau, a Zero-Sum Game?, 16th Annual
Conference of South Asian Bar Association- North America, Atlanta, GA, June 21, 2019.
- Moderator, CHARLIE CHAT: Deciphering the Visa Bulletin and at the annual Immigration Law Conference of Federal Bar Association (FBA, www.fedbar.org, http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Events/2018-Immigration-Law-Conference/ImmLaw18-Onsite-Program.aspx), May 18-19, 2018, Memphis, TN.
- Moderator, IMMIGRANT VISA PROCESSING AND WAIVERS: Unlawful Presence, Applicability of Bars to Admissibility, I-601A Waivers, Effect of Minority and Voluntary Departure, etc. at the annual Immigration Law Conference of Federal Bar Association (FBA, www.fedbar.org, http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Events/2018-Immigration-Law-Conference/ImmLaw18-Onsite-Program.aspx), May 18-19, 2018, Memphis, TN.
- Speaker alongside government officials from Customs and Border Protection (CBP), FBI, Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Know Your Rights/Immigration Clinic, Gurudwara, Virginia, May 6, 2018.
- Speaker, Visa and Immigration Planning for Student, Scholars, Faculty and Staff members including Visa Programs for Private Sector Employment, Start-ups, and Self-Petition, May 10th, 2017, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA.
- Commissioner, Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Community Development, District of Columbia, Washington, DC.
- Board Member, MIT Enterprise Forum of Washington, D.C. & Baltimore.
- Secretary, Executive Board, Durga Temple, Virginia.
- Pro bono legal services to university students and scientists on various visa and immigration options, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Oct. 2019. Pro bono legal services in Virginia and Maryland for naturalizations as part of AILA Constitution Day (2019 and 2018).
- Provided pro bono legal consultations and legal services to applicants for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Nepal (2015-2017) and legal consultations to Haitian nationals (March 1, 2018).
- General member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Volunteer for DC Bar and Legal Services of Northern Virginia for its pro bono programs (ongoing).
- Volunteer Judge for the International Rounds of Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington, DC since 2010- present.
Nepali (native), native-level fluency in Hindi, conversant in Bhojpuri and Urdu, and beginner in French and Sanskrit.
Tel: (+1) 888-820-4430 (toll free)
202 600 7743 (office)
510 394 2939 (cell)
Fax: (+1) 202-792-6243
To learn more about Nir’s detailed background, Profile Niranjan Adhikari