Adhikari Law has an accomplished team of legal professionals who have excelled in serving clients with the highest level of professionalism and diligence. Our professionals have extensive professional experience as well as stellar academic backgrounds. The legal team is led by the firm’s Managing Attorney, Mr. Niranjan “Nir” Adhikari.
Niranjan “Nir” Adhikari
Managing Attorney *
(*Admitted only in New York, and practice is limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies)
Nir represents business entities as well as individuals on all aspects of U.S. immigration and nationality laws. He handles business immigration as well as family-based immigration, special immigration programs, citizenship, and visa programs. He has served multinational corporations, foreign corporations seeking business expansion to the U.S., domestic corporations, individual investors, entrepreneurs, and U.S. citizens and permanent residents in sponsoring their family members. He has advised companies on immigration compliance, government audits, site visits, and investigations for immigration compliance, and has handled a large number of the complex as well as general immigration law and compliance-related matters for corporate clients. He advises foreign and multinational companies on immigration law matters in global mobility, in M&A, and in bankruptcy.
Nir has advised Fortune 1000, NASDAQ, TSE, NSE and BSE listed public companies, consulting companies, technology companies, medical organizations, major research universities, domestic corporations, start-ups, non-profits, entrepreneurs, scientists, investors, artists, and individuals on a variety of employment-based immigration and work visa matters. He has also provided legal guidance on business formation and corporate governance for start-ups; foreign businesses and investors; matters of Trademarks and Copyright; Int’l Biz Transactions; Int’l Trade (including export-control) for small business; matters of JOBS Act; SEC filing, Trademarks, and Copyright, and Intellectual Property Transactions. He advised large foreign and multinational companies on immigration law matters in global mobility, in M&A, and in bankruptcy.
Nir has served clients with the highest level of professionalism, diligence, and zealous representation on their legal matters.
Mr. Adhikari has more than nine years of US legal experience which primarily involved U.S. immigration law, anti-trust (competition) law, M&A, international law, government contracts, and business transactions. For the last seven years, he has advised companies and individuals on U.S. immigration law and immigration compliance and handled a large number of the complex as well as general immigration law and compliance-related matters for corporate as well as individual clients.
Nir is admitted to New York State Bar. He graduated with the Master of Laws (LL.M.) from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, CA, USA where he extensively studied business and corporate law, international trade, and M&A in technology companies. He also holds a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.). He is a member of the American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, American Immigration Lawyers Association, and Federal Bar Association.
At the beginning of his legal career, he interned at International Criminal Court, the Hague, Netherlands, was a Research Fellow with the American Antitrust Institute with a competitive fellowship award from the Antitrust Law Section of the American Bar Association, and was a consultant to a government contractor.
During law school he interned at the Nepalese Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, Kathmandu, Nepal; and was a Research Intern at the Centre for Civil Society, New Delhi, India.
Selected Representative Matters and Highlights
- Practicing law in the U.S. for over ten (10) years, and have been practicing U.S. immigration law for over eight (8) years and have handled complex cases for large (incl. publicly traded companies), IT consulting and staffing companies, medium and small enterprises; and prior to that was involved in anti-trust law and government contracts.
- Has been appointed by a State and major research university to be their outside counsel for their immigration law matters.
- Advised a large variety of clients on complex immigration and its compliance.
- Single-handedly managed handled large immigration law portfolio with strict deadlines and high volumes.
- Successfully defended corporations on Department of Labor, Department of State, and Department of Homeland Security’s audits and site-inspections including leading a compliance advisory team for a major corporation.
- Secured a number of corporate clients to former law firms, and former employers.
- Saved substantially large sum of monies to clients using a unique immigration strategy and little knowledge of legal provisions.
- Delivered major pro bono services to local organizations and individuals.
- Master in Laws (LL.M.) University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, CA
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Kathmandu School of Law, Nepal
- Directed Studies and the Summer Course on Private International Law, Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, the Netherlands.
- Summer Program on International Law, Xiamen (Asia) Academy of International Law, China.
- Communicating Freedom Workshop, Centre for Civil Society, India.
- Human Rights Summer School, Empowerment through Law of the Common People, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Membership in Professional Associations
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law
- Member of Steering Committee (past), Immigration and Naturalization Law Committee
- India Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Corporate Law Section
- International Law Section
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Immigration Law Section
- member, District of Columbia Chapter
- Intellectual Property and Communications Law Section
- International Law Section
- Securities Law Section
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)-DC
- Chair (past), Immigration Law Committee, SABA-DC
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association-District of Columbia (DC)
- Patan Appellate Bar Association, Lalitpur
- Speaker, Cross Border Immigration Analysis: Trump vs. Trudeau, a Zero-Sum Game?, 16th Annual Conference of South Asian Bar Association- North America, Atlanta, GA, June 21, 2019.
- Moderator, CHARLIE CHAT: Deciphering the Visa Bulletin and at the annual Immigration Law Conference of Federal Bar Association (FBA, www.fedbar.org, http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Events/2018-Immigration-Law-Conference/ImmLaw18-Onsite-Program.aspx), May 18-19, 2018, Memphis, TN.
- Moderator, IMMIGRANT VISA PROCESSING AND WAIVERS: Unlawful Presence, Applicability of Bars to Admissibility, I-601A Waivers, Effect of Minority and Voluntary Departure, etc. at the annual Immigration Law Conference of Federal Bar Association (FBA, www.fedbar.org, http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Events/2018-Immigration-Law-Conference/ImmLaw18-Onsite-Program.aspx), May 18-19, 2018, Memphis, TN.
- Speaker alongside government officials from Customs and Border Protection (CBP), FBI, Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Know Your Rights/Immigration Clinic, Gurudwara, Virginia, May 6, 2018.
- Speaker, Visa and Immigration Planning for Student, Scholars, Faculty and Staff members including Visa Programs for Private Sector Employment, Start-ups, and Self-Petition, May 10th, 2017, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA.
Public Interest and Pro Bono Activities
- Commissioner, Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Community Development, District of Columbia, Washington, DC.
- Board Member, MIT Enterprise Forum of Washington, D.C. & Baltimore.
- Secretary, Executive Board, Durga Temple, Virginia.
- Pro bono legal services to university students and scientists on various visa and immigration options, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. Oct. 2019.
- Pro bono legal services in Virginia and Maryland for naturalization as part of AILA Constitution Day (2019 and 2018).
- Provided pro bono legal consultations and legal services to applicants for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Nepal (2015-2017) and legal consultations to Haitian nationals (March 1, 2018).
- General member, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Volunteer for DC Bar and Legal Services of Northern Virginia for its pro bono programs (ongoing).
- Volunteer Judge for the International Rounds of Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington, DC from 2010 to the present.
Nepali (native), native-level fluency in Hindi, conversant in Bhojpuri and Urdu, and beginner in French and Sanskrit.
(*Admitted only in New York, and practice is limited to matters and proceedings before federal courts and agencies)
Visit Profile of Niranjan Adhikari to learn more about Nir's detailed background
Schedule an appointment with Nir at https://appointment.one/adhikarilaw/contact
Serena Yang Li
Attorney at Law
Serena is an attorney at Adhikari Law and handles employment-based immigration and work visas, complex immigration administrative motions and appeals, cross-border business transactions, labor and employment law, and intellectual property matters. At the firm, she also oversees the research and knowledge management of the firm. She has represented technology companies, universities, manufacturers, research institutes, scientists, professionals, and foreign nationals, and has represented clients in IT consulting, management consulting, life sciences, consulting, pharmaceuticals, retails, hospitality, transportation, energy, education, financial services, and non-profits sectors.
Serena has advised Fortune 1000, NASDAQ, TSE and NYSE listed public companies, consulting companies, technology companies, medical organizations, major research universities, domestic corporations, start-ups, non-profits, entrepreneurs, scientists, investors, artists, and individuals on a variety of employment-based immigration and work visa matters.
Serena is an attorney licensed in both the U.S. and China. She represents business entities as well as individuals on all aspects of U.S. immigration and nationality laws. Serena advises multinational corporations seeking business expansion to both the U.S. and China. By partnering with attorneys in other areas, Serena also advises clients on complex cross-border investment matters, such as investment funds, IPO listings, among others.
Prior to joining Adhikari Law, Serena was an attorney at a large international firm practicing global mobility law. Prior to practicing global mobility law, Serena was a law clerk for the Illinois Sixth Judicial Circuit Court. Serena was also an attorney for a large international firm representing multinational corporations on international trademark and copyright infringement matters.
Serena is admitted to the District of Columbia Bar and the Chinese National Bar. She graduated magna cum laude from the 3-year J.D. program in 2.5 years from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She received her J.D. in China from Peking University.
Bar and Court Admissions:
- District of Columbia Bar
- The Chinese National Bar (国家司法考试)
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Magna Cum Laude, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois.
- Juris Doctor (China equivalent), Peking University, Beijing, China.
- Cornell University, Law School, and School of Industrial and Labor Relations (Peking University exchange program).
Legal Analyst / Legal Consultant
Sanjay assists the attorneys in the matters of U.S. immigration and visa programs, investor visa programs, and international business transactions.
Before joining Adhikari Law, Sanjay worked at law firms in Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Sanjay holds the degree of Master in Laws (LL.M.) from American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, DC, and also a degree of Master of Science (M.S.) in Tourism, Development, and Policy from the University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom.
He obtained the degree of Bachelor of Laws (J.D. Equivalent), Honors, from the University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom.
Akshay Chitre is a recent law graduate and assists attorneys in matters of U.S. immigration and visa programs, investor visa program, work visa, intra-company transfer, employment-based immigration (EB-1(A)(B)/(C), PERM based EB-2 and EB-3, EB-2 NIW), adjustment of status applications, corporate governance, and business formation for startups.
Before joining Adhikari Law, Akshay worked a law firm in Virginia and also in India.
Akshay holds Master of Laws (LL.M.) from George Mason University and a Bachelor of Laws from ILS Law College, Pune University, India. During law law school, he participated in various moot court and debates competitions.
Akshay is fluent in Hindi and Marathi.
Sufei assists the attorneys in the matters of U.S. immigration and visa programs, investor visa program, reviews professional contributions and accomplishments of computer and research scientists in securing various visa programs, and researches and drafts legal memorandum on foreign investment and international business transactions.
Before joining Adhikari Law, Sufei worked at a legal services provider in D.C. and at a major law firm and a trial court in Beijing.
Sufei holds the degree of Master in Laws (LL.M.) from Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC with a certificate in International Trade Studies, and she also holds a degree of Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of English from Beijing International Studies University, Beijing, China.
Priyank assists the attorneys in the matters of U.S. immigration and visa programs, investor visa programs, and international business transactions.
Before joining Adhikari Law, Priyanka worked at a major non-profit as a Legal Officer.
Priyanka holds the degree of Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from Kathmandu School of Law, Nepal, and has received extensive national and international training in South Korea, Thailand, and Sri Lanka.
During law school, she represented her law school at international moot court competitions namely Henry Dunant Memorial Regional Moot Court Competition in New Delhi, India, and Red Cross International Humanitarian Law Moot in Hong Kong, SAR- China. She is certified by Nepal Bar Council to practice law in Nepal.
Priyanka has authored a number of research publications. She has interested in photography, blogging, poetry, and literary writing.
Tel: (+1) 202 600 7742 / 888-820-4430 (office)
Sahil Marya assists attorneys in matters of U.S. immigration and visa programs, investor visa program, work visa, intra-company transfer, employment-based immigration (EB-1(A)(B)/(C), PERM based EB-2 and EB-3, EB-2 NIW), adjustment of status applications, corporate governance, and business formation for startups.
Before joining Adhikari Law, Sahil volunteered at a nonprofit in Chicago, IL. He is currently a 3rd-year law student of a Juris Doctor (J.D.) program at Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago where he is also pursuing a Business Certificate Program. At the law school, he co-leads the Cyber Security & Data Privacy Society and ACLU and was an editor for the Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property.
Before law school, Sahil was a technology analyst and functional lead at major government contractors that provide IT services to the federal government. He previously interned at Standard Chartered Bank in Singapore.
Sahil obtained his Bachelor of Science in Business Information Technology from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, VA.
Sahil is fluent in English, and Hindi and proficient in Spanish.
e-mail: info at adhikarilaw dot com
Of Counsels, Consultants, Law Clerks, and Paralegals
Adhikari Law has a number of experienced Counsels in different areas of law to handle more specialized legal works, and we also draw up in-house Consultants, Law Clerks, and Paralegals who provide secretarial and support services for timely delivery of services to our corporate and individual clients. This allows our attorneys to focus our time on core legal services and have Of Counsels handle other areas of law, and Consultants, Law Clerks, and Paralegals do the preparatory, secretarial, and paralegal work to assist our attorneys. All of our Of Counsels, Consultants, Law Clerks, and Paralegals have at least a Bachelor’s, Master’s, Juris Doctor (J.D.) or other Doctorate degrees, and have prior experience working at law firms.
Give us a call or email us today to schedule a Legal Consultation
Please feel free to contact us if you will have any questions or will be in need of legal services or you generally like to discuss some of the legal matters.